- General Site Questions
- General Audi Questions
- Engine Features
- Engine Maintenance
- I have a lot of valve noise, especially when I first start the engine. It goes away after long drives but
tends to stay during stop and go driving. Should I worry?
- My engine loses more than a quart of oil every 1000 miles. My dealer says this is normal -- is it?
- I have loud valve noise, all the time. What's the problem?
- I have loud valve noise after the car has been idling for a few minutes. What can I do about it?
- When should I change my timing belt?
- Is the V6 an interference engine?
- I've heard that the V6 leaks oil. Is this a big problem? Should I worry?
Some V6 engines, especially engines manufactured in 1992-1993, had problems with leaking oil. In general, if you have an
Audi with an engine manufactured that long ago, these leaks should have been taken care of by now. Having said that, it's not impossible
that some of these leaks might have gone unnoticed. Valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, the valley pan gasket, the rear main seal,
the upper and lower oil pan gaskets, the camshaft oil seals, and the front crankshaft oil seal may be leaking. Some of these are
very hard to get to (such as the rear main seal or the crankshaft oil seal), but others are relatively easy (camshaft oil seals, valley
pan gasket, valve cover gaskets).
- Safety Features
- What is...
- Audi 80/90 Specific
- Audi 100/A6 Specific
- Audi Coupe Specific
- Audi Cabriolet Specific
- Audi A4 Specific